Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders

! If you have been the victim of domestic violence in Tampa Bay or if you have reasonable cause to believe that you are in immediate danger of becoming the victim of any act of domestic violence, call law enforcement or follow the links below for assistance.



Domestic Violence, Divorce & Florida Family Law

If you are divorcing or if you are unmarried and share minor children and you have been a victim of domestic violence, Nilo J Sanchez & Associates can petition the courts for an Order of Protection on your behalf. Although it is not necessary to hire a Tampa Bay family law attorney, it is highly beneficial to have an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you in these matters. This helps to ensure that you obtain the proper representation and protection from your aggressor and continued legal counsel if you’re divorcing or have child custody concerns.

Domestic violence is frequently triggered by separation or divorce. The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, reports that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men living in Florida have experienced physical violence from an intimate partner. Even the most amicable relationships can turn ugly when couples are divorcing or when there is high conflict between the unmarried parents of shared biological children.

If you are going through a divorce in Florida and believe that you or your children are in danger, please consult with an experienced Tampa Divorce lawyer to begin restraining order proceedings. If you cannot afford an attorney, please contact Are You Safe or contact Legal Aid in your area.

Contact Our Family Law Firm

Send a Secure Message or Call 813-879-4600

    Who Can File for a Domestic Violence Injunction (Restraining Order)

    There are several different types of “injunctions” that can be filed in Florida. As it applies to Family Law, any person who is a victim of domestic violence, or has a reasonable belief that they are in immediate danger of becoming a victim of domestic violence has the right to be protected under Florida Law. In cases of domestic violence from a spouse or other family member, an injunction for protection against domestic violence should be filed. If the abuser is a current or former spouse, is the other parent of the victim’s child, or is related to the victim by either blood or marriage the attorneys at Nilo J Sanchez & Associates can represent you.

    Let Our Family Law Attorneys  Take the First Step on Your Behalf to Stop the Violence

    Your safety matters to us and it is important to obtain the protection you deserve.  The first step is to file for an ex parte order of protection . This is a temporary measure that can be filed quickly that can help to provide you with some immediate relief. Ex parte  motions for orders are done on the premise of the need for temporary and immediate relief and they can be granted without waiting for a response from your aggressor. Ex parte injunctions are orders that remain in place until further hearings can be held to obtain a temporary restraining order. Full protection orders are granted only after a court hearing and it provides for an extended period of protection against your aggressor. 

    Domestic Violence & Minor Children

    If you have minor children who have been subjected to domestic violence, please reach out to our law firm. Children all to often become unintended victims of
    aggression towards a spouse or other parent. It is crucial to understand that even if your child has not been physically harmed, the emotional scars can be deep.

               ** 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.

    The Best Interests of You and Your Children

    Our Tampa Family Law Attorneys are committed to fighting for the best interests of you and your children. If your child or children are being physically harmed you must report this to law enforcement immediately. If you genuinely fear that your aggressor will abuse, remove, or hide your child or children from you, there are steps we can take that can provide temporary relief. Types of temporary relief can include; An Order of protection, temporary child support, supervised visitation, counseling and intervention and if you share a dwelling, temporary and exclusive use of the residence.  We will petition the courts to provide relief based on your circumstances and deemed necessary for your well being and protection, including any injunctions or directives to law enforcement agencies. 

    Learn more: Protective Orders – Tampa Family Law & Divorce Lawyers


    Florida Statutes on Domestic Violence &  Protective Orders

    Fla. Stat. § 741.28(2)

    Fla. Stat. § 741.30(1)(a)