Non Payment of Court Ordered Alimony in Florida

Alimony continues to be a contentious subject in Florida. If you have been ordered to pay alimony and are refusing to pay or simply cannot do so, you may face stiff penalties for failing to comply. If you are unable to pay your alimony obligation, consult with a Tampa family law attorney to determine if modifying your alimony is possible. It is far better to try to modify your alimony, rather than waiting to see what happens should you fall behind.

Have You Fallen Behind on Alimony Payments?

If a motion of contempt has been filed against you for non-payment of alimony, please call Tampa Family Law Attorney Nilo J Sanchez & Associates to schedule a consultation. Time is of the essence in any lawsuit that has been filed against you. Ignoring the severity of this matter can have serious consequences and penalties.

Penalties for Non Payment of Alimony in Florida

  • Contempt of Court
    If you are found in contempt of court, the Judge may impose a fine and/or jail time. Frequently the courts will order a “purge” which means you must pay the alimony that is owed before you avoid the Sanctions of being held in Contempt of Court.
  • Garnishment of Wages or Other Income
    Wage garnishment is another way to make you pay the alimony that is owed. The courts can take a portion of your wages or other income to ensure what you owe is paid to your ex.
  • Tax Refunds
    Much like wage garnishment, the courts can order that any tax refunds be designated to your ex to pay what is owed.
  • Seizure of Assets and Property Liens
    Anything of value can be seized if the courts determine you have failed to pay your alimony. If you have assets such as property, dividends, income from real estate investments, dividends or royalties, the courts can seize them. The courts may also file liens against any property you own.
  • Court and Legal Fees
    If you have a judgement filed against you for non-payment of a substantial amount of alimony, you may be ordered to pay your ex’s legal fees.
  • Interest
    In addition to court costs and legal fees, a judge can order that you pay interest on the past due alimony.

Modifying Alimony in Florida

There are many different types of alimony that are awarded in Florida divorces, most of which are modifiable. If you are having trouble making your alimony payments, you may be able to modify your current order. If you have experienced an unexpected job loss or pay cut, have been injured or have health problems that have or will hinder your ability to pay, you and your ex may be able to reach an agreement until the matters preventing you from being able to pay resolve and, before going to court.

Learn more: Modifying Alimony in Florida

Alimony Enforcement & Contempt

Attorney Sanchez offers sound legal strategies that have helped couples resolve high conflict post-divorce matters such as unpaid alimony. If you are not receiving your alimony payments, contact our office for a consultation. Attorney Sanchez understands that most people depend on the alimony that has been awarded to them. Mr. Sanchez has over 26 years of experience practicing family law in Tampa Bay. A consultation will help you to explore your options for resolving and collecting past due alimony.

Contact Tampa Family Law Attorney, Nilo J. Sanchez & Associates
Call 813-879-4600 or message us below.